Thursday, July 02, 2009

We have our standards....


Welcome! Y'all come on in and have a seat. Or we can sit on the swing out on the veranda and enjoy the breeze coming down from the hills. Have a glass of frosty lemonade and a delicious slice of strawberry shortcake.




Where I come from, gentility and manners are commonplace.
Ah, southern hospitality.

But not everyone gets it, you know. Some folks have the strangest notion that if you come from the hills, you haven't got much sense.

Oh, pooh. That's hogwash. Where I was born and the way that I speak have no influence over my I.Q. And even if I am not a Nobel Prize winner, I'm still a nice person, deserving of some respect.

One of my favorite personal stories to tell is of a college trip to Washington, DC, a few years ago. We were all art students, headed to see the museums and architecture of our nation's capital city during cherry blossom season. It was sunny and eighty degrees (F) outside, perfect for sightseeing. Somewhat unfortunately, feminine fashion at that time included jelly shoes.
After a day of walking, I had to take them off as we walked back to our hotel. I jokingly told my companion, "If people give us funny looks, we can just tell them I'm from Kentucky."



In my time, I have been called a Beverly Hillbilly, a Kentucky Fried Chicken, and a resident of Dogpatch.

Very funny, guys. Only did you ever think that maybe I would rather be associated with brave Scarlett O'Hara or the sassy Designing Women?



So please forgive the dreadful language found on the front of this lovely summer top from Lorilei's Artist at Work. Sometimes strong language seems almost appropriate under the circumstances, and this was just one of those times. We shall not abide insults.

If someone ridicules you for your accent, or calls you a hick or a redneck or a hillbilly, just tell them that frankly you don't give a -- I mean, tell them even if they think you are from "Hillbilly Hell," you have a sense of class, dignity, and respectability. You have your own standards, and they simply don't make the grade.




Y'all can acquire
elegant tops, t-shirts, hoodies, mugs, hats, and myriad quantities of other gear from Hillbilly Hell at Lorilei's Artist at Work, in the Just for Fun section.


Don't be a stranger!

No comments: